Desk Lamps come in a many different designs to fill various functional requirements as well as decor preferences. Some times, the most appropriate desk lamp is a versatile table lamp, or otherwise called a fixed lamp. However, the flexibility of a table lamp is somewhat limited compared to other desk lamp types that have those features that permit the light to be adjusted upward or vertically. Free Shipping, No Tax.
Why Desk Lamp?
Good task lighting is important for a desk area or work area. Task lighting is high intensity light which is focused on an object which makes the details easily visible. This reduces eye strain and lessens the potential for headaches.
- A desk lamp is used for ambient lighting because general lighting alone – Is not enough.
- We generally think that a desk lamp is only for an office. Although swing-arm desk lamps are usually used in bedrooms or living rooms to give an industrial, hip or rustic look.
- When you decide on your color metal desk lamp you want, consider matching it up to other metals in your room, such as the desk knobs.
- Use several matching desk lamps for extra lighting. They’ll give a more unified design appearance. Or, you can add a recessed light in the ceiling.
HOW MUCH TASK LIGHTING DO YOU NEED?
As we get older and beyond we need more light than we needed in our younger years. We have also become more sensitive to glare. So, desk lamps will provide task lighting with a directed stream of light which is a good choice. In contrast, most table lamps flood the light in all directions. At minimum – a good rule is:
Children twelve down to five years only need 40 watts of incandescent, or 20 watts of halogen, and only 3 to 5 watts of LED
- Younger people who are thirteen up to twenty-four need about 60 watts of incandescent, about 50 watts of halogen and about 5 watts of LED
- Older adults 25-55 years will need about 60 watts of incandescent, about 50 watts of halogen, and about 5-10 watts of LED in their home office
- The oldest adults 50-75 years will need around 100 watts of incandescent, 50 watts of halogen, and about 5-10 watts of LED in their home office
TRADITIONAL BRASS AND NICKEL DESK LAMPS
Brass is generally used for Traditional desk lamps. These gorgeous lamps have shades in metal or fabric.
MODERN BRASS AND NICKEL DESK LAMPS
Although brass is utilized, most modern desk lamps have nickel or chrome – and come in innovative designs.
VINTAGE DESK LAMP STYLES
These are unique lamps that usually work well in both Modern and Traditional style interiors. They usually have an industrial feature and Edison style bulbs.
BOUILLOTTE DESK LAMPS
These are lovely traditional brass desk lamps that have black metal shades, some have white metal shades. They usually have two or three candlestick arms. These types of desk or table lamps originated in 18th century France.
ADJUSTABLE OR SWINGARM DESK LAMPS
Swing Arm Lamps have the clear advantage of being the most flexible because they focus the beam of light – up and down, and sideways. The Adjustable Desk Lamp typically has a lampshade that pivots down and up.
WHAT SIZE OFFICE DESK LAMP
The size of a office desk lamp will depend on the size of your desk surface and your activity. If your desk is larger, it would be good to pick a desk lamp that has a long reaching arm that will reach easily across the desk. If you’re working on a computer you should be certain that the desk lamp will light up the whole work area.
Traditional or Modern Desk Lamps at Posh Lamps
If you want to have an idea how any of our Modern or Traditional Desk Lamps may look in your home, try out our Free Visualization Service. Shop stylish Chelsea House, Decorative Crafts, Uttermost, Wildwood Lamps, and Frederick Cooper for a superb selection.
SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE * 150% LOWEST PRICE GUARANTEE!
Contact us if you have any questions – 561-877-9355.